Credit unions are restricted by federal law to serve only a defined and approved field of membership. You must be within La Cap’s field of membership or be a qualified relative of a member in order to open an account. Once you become a member of La Cap, you never have to terminate your membership — once a member, always a member.
You are eligible to open an account with La Cap if:
- You are employed by an agency of the State of Louisiana which does not have its own individual credit union.
- You live, work, worship or attend school in the City of Baton Rouge or in the Parishes of Allen, Grant, Lincoln, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Terrebonne or Tangipahoa.
- You are a student of University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM), Louisiana Tech University, Northwestern State University (NSU), Southeastern Louisiana University (SLU), Delgado Community College, Nunez Community College, or Baton Rouge Community College (BRCC).
- You are employed by one of the select employee groups (SEG) accepted for La Cap membership.
- You are a qualifying relative of a La Cap member. A qualifying relative is a spouse, child, parent, brother, sister, stepchild, stepparent, grandchild, grandparent or extended family member residing in the same household as a La Cap member.
- You are a member of the Louisiana Association for Personal Financial Achievement (ACHIEVE).
If you are uncertain about your eligibility or have any additional questions, call our Personal Assistance Line at 800.522.2748 or 225.342.5055.